We have had a party to celebrate being year 1's! This is linked to our RE unit of 'Celebrations'. Children thought about when we have celebrations, celebrations they have been to, what they include and how celebrations make people feel.
Roald Dahl Day
We had lots of fun during Roald Dahl day! Children joined in with different crafts and made some fantastic 'Mrs Twits eyeball cakes.' Children also linked in their ICT skills by recording each other being TV chefs! Children had some brilliant costumes and we learnt a lot about the different characters! At the end of the day, children invited parents in to give them a surprise cake and to show them what they had done during the day.
Welcome back to a new school year, I hope you have all had a fantastic Summer break! Our topic this term is ‘Scrumdiddlyumptious!’ and as many lessons as possible will be linked to this topic. I have created a topic web so that you can see what this topic will be covering.
I can observe and comment on changes in the seasons.
I can name the seasons and suggest the type of weather in each season.
I can explain what I have found out using scientific vocabulary.
If you do want to help with your child’s writing at home we are focusing on using finger spaces, capital letters and full stops correctly this half term. We will then move onto using ‘and’ to join ideas and a huge focus will be on joined handwriting. Every child is also placed in a phonics group to suit their ability in order for them to progress at their level. They will be learning new sounds and spelling patterns each week, ask them to share these with you, but please feel free to ask if you need further support or advice.
Children will get 5 spellings a week; if they correctly spell all 5 then they will be rewarded with a team point. The spellings they receive will initially be the year 1 words and then will be linked to the phonics sound that they have been working on that week and they will be tested on a Friday. Any help you can give your children at home is greatly appreciated and makes a big difference in their writing.
Each half term we will focus on a chosen author or genre. Our first author that we are going to be focusing on this half term is Roald Dahl; he is a very famous children’s author that is loved by adults too! We are happy to display or read in class any books children have by our author.
Children will have the first few weeks to settle into their new surroundings before homework is given. Homework will be given out on a Friday and is to be returned by the following Wednesday. It is the children’s responsibility to hand it in as we are starting to build up independence. Your child may need support reading the task but as the year progresses they should become more confident at having ago by themselves. You are welcome to work with them and let them know if an answer is incorrect, supporting them to correct it.
Literacy – instructions
P.E will take place on a Monday and Tuesday. Children will require an indoor and outdoor kit. Indoor kits should consist of shorts, t-shirt and plimsolls. Outdoor kit should consist of jogging bottoms, t-shirt, jumper and trainers. As it gets colder children may need gloves and a hat for outdoor PE.
The PSHE areas that we are working on from our passports are:
- Always say please and thank you.
- Share a favourite toy.
- Help tidy the classroom.
A few further bits of information:
- Just a reminder that children with pierced ears should have their earrings removed or taped up before school on PE days.
- We will be taking part in Roald Dahl day on Friday the 13th September. It is a charity day that promises to be lots of fun. Children can dress up as their favourite Roald Dahl character and we will be doing lots of games and activities. More information can be found on http://www.roalddahl.com/create-and-learn/join-in/roald-dahl-day
- We will be testing children on number facts this year such as number bonds to 10 and 20 and also times tables later on in the year. If any parents are interested in volunteering to come into school to test children then please let me know and I can give you more information.
- Please avoid booking to go away during June as this is usually when the phonics screening check that we have to do in year 1 takes place. I will speak to you more about this during the first parents evening.
- We do not check through book bags for letters in year 1 due to time restrictions. If you have something to hand in please put it in the basket on the front desk.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to catch me before or after school.
Miss T Ward